Monday, April 4, 2011

Holistic Strength Training for Triathlon by Andrew Johnston

My name is Andrew Johnston, and I am a Leukemia Survivor.

I'm also a former professional cyclist, current Ironman triathlete, the first Corrective Exercise Kinesiologist in the state of Georgia, and twice voted one of the Top 100 Trainers in the U.S. I give you those credentials only to highlight my authority on the subject of sports training, rehabilitation, and wellness. Indeed, my skills in those three areas helped me return to my roots as a competitor and become the first Leukemia Survivor to qualify for and compete in the Hawaii Ironman World Championships. But before I did that, I started writing a book--Holistic Strength Training for Triathlon.

See, the only reason I was able to pursue my passion and compete in triathlons again is because of Team In Training. The efforts of everyone involved in this organization helped raise over a billion dollars which went directly to research to combat blood cancers with innovative therapies like Gleevec, the drug I take today. My fight against leukemia became instantly less daunting when I realized the world's largest endurance organization was behind me.

And I wanted to give back.

First it started with being an Honored Hero and giving speeches at TNT events. Next it was raising almost 20 grand for LLS the year I raced Hawaii. Then it evolved into my desire to help the individual athletes who were sweating through all types of endurance events simply so I could toe the line of life.

So I began writing. I combined my years of athletic experience with my knowledge of physiology (along with my degree in creative writing) to write what I envisioned being the bible for TNT participants everywhere. If they were going to be pounding out miles to save my life, the least I could do was save them the pounding. I and thousands of other Survivors have a vested interest in keeping the volunteers of TNT healthy. My book will show them how.  I've committed to giving 10% of the proceeds of all sales to the organization which saved my life, and the impact will increase exponentially with the number of people who read it. So it looks like LLS and I have even more reason to be allies.

I'd like your help. I can write each chapter of LLS in the U.S. and Canada. And I'm confident they will all be eager to combine our efforts, especially once they see my book, and finally win the battle against blood cancers forever. But that will take time. And as anyone who suffers from leukemia or lymphoma will tell you, time is a commodity we just don't have. Let's get my book to the people who need it: the TnT participants who are struggling to the finish line--and the many brave Survivors who aren't finished living.

"The only limitations we have are the ones we set for ourselves." ~Osho

You can pick up Andrew Johnston's book, Holistic Strength Training for Triathlon, through his website, www.triumphtraining.com or through Amazon. 10% of all sales benefit The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. You can also follow Andrew's blog at http://blog.triumphtraining.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment