Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Julie's Challenge by Bruce Scruggs

Sugar and spice, and everything nice, isn't that what we were told girls are made of when we were young?!! I happen to still believe this is true, and for reasons unknown, I still prescribe to the "girls should have long hair, and boys should have short hair" theory. So when my friend Julie Wolfe, decided to chop her hair off to raise money for her Chicago Marathon campaign, it was a natural reaction for me to challenge her on it. Of course, as soon as I did, another friend, Mallory Chandler, reminded me I had contributed to her cause by paying her to cut her hair just a couple of weeks ago!! As Scooby would say, "Rut Ro!!", what to do now? I've told one friend she should cut her hair, and another one she shouldn't. Boy, did I get myself into a pickle.

Of course, this is all in good fun, and as anyone who has subscribed to receive this blog knows, we all have the same goal, to cure this cancer!! Julie's initial goal was to raise $500 for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society by taking donations to encourage her to cut her hair. As many of you know, I'm always up for some fun, and a good challenge, so I threw down the gauntlet and pledged to get Julie to her goal if she DIDN'T cut her hair. So Julie agreed to amend the rules of her poll and allow people to donate and vote for which direction she should go with her hair cut!!

Now I need everyone's help!!! Since posting the challenge, I've been steadily losing ground on my efforts to save the pony tail. Let's have some fun, and get the word out about the challenge, if you have an opinion on the topic, make a donation and vote your conviction. Will it be "pixie" or pony tail? The "long and short" of it is that we can all help make a difference while having some fun!!

Julie Wolfe is one of our 2010 Chicago Marathon TNT Mentors, but is an 11Alive News backpack reporter by day. You may have seen some of her news pieces featuring TNT'ers in the past. Follow Julie as she blogs about her Team In Training experience and running in general at http://11aliveblogs.com/index.php/category/running/.

Bruce Scruggs first joined Team In Training in 2009 and has quickly racked up several TNT events under his belt. Next up for Bruce, the 2010 Chicago Marathon.

1 comment:

  1. Would be suggesting the same challenge at the georgia hair designer school I'm attending. Pretty cool challenge.

    ReplyDelete